“Happy!!! Why Happy?”
Happy has been in America two years. The first
day I met her, she stands in front of the library alone. Waiting. The morning
sunshine painted her short hair light brown. I had a glance in the car; she is
about two inches taller than me.
Mom dropped me off at the library; she signed up
an art class for me to enjoy few days ago. To be honest I have no clue why I
came here; I can’t draw. Period. Oh well, at less I am not stuck in the house.
Once I walked towards the library I realized she might be in the same program.
She has Asian looks just like me. I was so
surprised and cheerful. We introduced our selves to each other. I was thrilled
she can speak Chinese and live around here. That’s means she could be my first
best friend in America. We could learn English together. I am not alone any
more.
Unlike my complicating name, her name is
“Happy”. Easy to remember and pronounce. “To be happy is a day, or not to be is
a day. Why not be Happy!” I laughed and agreed with her. I told her “I like to
hang out with happy and be her friend as well.” We smiled at each other.
Even though I am not good at drawing, but I had
fun spend time with my friend Happy. Mom was amazed and shocked when I told her
about Happy.
“That’s GREAT you have make new friend! But
what’s her real name again?”
“Happy!”
“Happy!!! Why Happy? You should tell her to
change her name. It doesn’t sounds like a proper name in America! At school
people might make fun of her because of her name.”
I gave my Mom a stare, then I said “Okay…”
I know my mom is kindly want to help. But it
makes me questioning what is America culture? Judge other by how they look and
their names?
Happy kept her name, because it’s meaningful for
herself. She is proud to be Happy. And I am happy have a friend like Happy.
By the way, Happy doesn't have any trouble with her name yet, let's just hope nobody would make fun of her culture and name in the future.
Hey Gwenyth i really liked this. What you could do better about this is maybe tell me why you chose to name the character happy. What makes the character happy, happy and also how happy associates with the character. There are a few grammar errors other than that it is a well though out story.
ReplyDelete